Sunday, August 23, 2015

First Days!!

Yay! There's a lot that's gone on since the 19th, so I'll start from there.

I actually went up to New York on the 18th with my mum and dad since we didn't want time to be an issue, and we stayed with some family for the night. Then, the next day we went to the AFS orientation site, and mum and dad dropped me off (we had to say goodbye before I could join everyone), and I had to wait a bit in the lobby with a couple other AFS kids since I got there early.

Guess what series I'm finally reading!

Orientation lasted until 4 pm until noon the next day. Most of it was going over stuff, and a few things were new, but it was overall fun. I got to talk to the other kids going to Finland (there were seven of us, including me), and some who weren't, and that was nice too.
On the 20th, we were the second group to leave (you left at different times depending on what country you were going to), and all the regular airport business went fairly smoothly. The AFS chaperon couldn't come with us past security, so we had to find the gate and do everything else by ourselves, which was kind of weird for me since I've never done major travel without an adult-person there. We did manage, though! We got food and found the gate in plenty of time!

Here's the post on my photography blog, if you'd like!

Boarding went smoothly, and we all sat together (except for the two of us who were only doing semester stays). The plane was one of those big ones with a middle isle, which is where we sat, so sadly I have no cool window pictures. We did have the little screens on the back of the seats, though, and there was one little app thing that let you see outside of the plane! (one was from the front and the other was beneath).
The flight was pretty long (7 hours?) and we ended up taking off late since we were either 11th or 12th in line for the runway. I didn't get very much sleep, I mostly dozed on and off, but thankfully the flight was fairly uneventful.

It was very strange getting off, since it was around 9 in the morning when it was 2 am at home, but once we got through customs, we met our host families! Only my host sister, Belinda, was there at the airport, and we took several buses to Pori where my host mother picked us up, and we drove home where I met my host father! It was very exciting, and so far we all get along, so I'm very happy!
They then gave me a tour of the house and everything around, which was cool. After that, though I was pretty tired, so I slept for a while and woke up just in time for dinner, which was really good! (sort-of meatballs, mashed potatoes, and caramelized onions!)

The next day (yesterday), was my actual first whole day in Finland! I woke up pretty late and had fresh blueberries for breakfast, and then relaxed for a little bit, and then we went shopping! I found some of the next Harry Potter books at a thrift store for 2 euros each, but they're still the english versions, not the Finnish. 

This was the first picture I took with my new phone, haha.

Next we went to the electronics store nearby, and I looked at phones since my old one wouldn't work here. Unfortunately, the kind I was looking for was out of stock, so we ended up going to a mall that used to be a factory! I was actually really tired by the time I'd gotten my new phone and everything, so we stopped at the donut shop across from the phone store.
We looked around a little more after that since the donut gave me more energy, but we then went back home, where there was more relaxing and I had a little nap.
In the evening, though, I got to go to the sauna in the summer cottage that's out at the end of the backyard! It was reeaally nice, but I wasn't able to stay in it for long because it got too hot for me. Then Äiti (Finnish for mom) had a couple turns and then we watched TV in the cottage with Isä (dad) for a while before we all went to bed.

And now it's today! I actually was able to get up at my normal time today, and I read for a while before I had breakfast. That's pretty much it for now, though, I just had lunch, and I think some people are coming over later today, but yeah! I haven't done much photography or drawing yet, but that's alright. Oh, and school starts tomorrow! (for me, at least. apparently it actually started last week).

Aaaaa!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope your first day of school went well! What kinds of things are they doing to help you follow along at first? I'm sure you'll get there soon, but it's going to be a lot of work to keep up. I'm also curious as to whether everyone wants to try practicing their English with you or if they're sticking pretty much to Suomi. So many questions, but I'll leave it there for now. :)

    ReplyDelete